Friday, September 18, 2009

The Little Lies We Tell Ourselves




Well, I did it. I faced my fear of the scale this morning. I woke up and just did it before I chickened out or got too worked up thinking about it. When I got up the courage and stepped onto it, all it said was "keep running! keep running! For the love of everything holy, KEEP RUNNING!!!" Was it as scary as I had anticipated? YES! I didn't know scales could even talk! It scared the hell out of me! No really, it wasn't that bad. I weighed EXACTLY what I weighed at my first prenatal visit when I first found out I was pregnant. That's ten pounds more then the last time that I was weighed at my 6 week post natal visit. So basically I have gained TEN pounds in two years without even noticing. Sure I noticed when my jeans were getting a little bit tighter and my fingers felt a little swollen. And I guess I even noticed when I saw myself in pictures and my double chin looked a little bit bigger and more prominent then before. But the bottom line is that I just kept telling myself it was the angle of the picture or the lighting or I was just bloated and bla bla bla. The little lies we tell ourselves to make us feel just a little bit better about the the flat out fact that we have just GAINED WEIGHT and don't want to face up to it are ridiculous! Don't kid yourselves people! Just fess up and start doing something about it already! Buy that full length mirror (yes, I already did) and get honest with yourself!

Well, as scary as it was for me to face, I did it and now I feel really good that I did. It's like buying the full lenght mirror the other day and really looking at myself in it once and for all I feel like I have a fresh start, I know exactly where I stand now and I can just go from here. I'm going to start weighing myself every two weeks and tracking my progress from here. One step at a time...

Well in the meantime, Robb is gone out of town for ten days. Even though I miss him when he leaves and it can sometimes get lonely, I'm actually a little bit excited because that's enough time to loose a few pounds before he gets home. Usually when he's not here it's easier for me to loose weight anyway because I don't have to even worry about what to make for dinner and if I just want to eat a bowl of cereal then I'm good. I usually always eat less when he's not around to cook for. So here's my plan:
I want to loose 3-5 pounds by September 28th. I also decided that while he's gone to stay busy and keep distracted so I don't get bored and want to snack, I'm going to try to get all of my Spring cleaning done as well. Yes, I said Spring cleaning. I really want to get the list that's been on my fridge since spring, done before fall so I'm going to set a goal to have it done before he gets back. That should keep me busy and moving. I'm also going to decorate for fall sometime this week because it's one of my favorite times of the year. I love too how the crispness in the air just makes you want to get out and move so why not take advantage of it? So here's to getting stuff done, loosing some weight and the beautiful fall days ahead!!

3 comments:

Mrs... said...

AMEN sista! I'm going to decorate for fall this weekend to! (maybe) But in the mean time I'm going to get busy. I agree, I LIE to myself EVERYDAY about what I really look like. It's so obvious anymore I can't lie, everytime I try my HUGE chin swings up and slaps me in the mouth!

Amanda Leigh said...

Good job on facing your fears! You can do it! And you're right, the fall weather really helps...

Stephanie said...

I love how honest you are. All ofus can relate to ou in so many ways but we are not brave enough to post it for eveyone to see. I just put up some of my fall decorations and I love the look. I love fall for the fact that it is the beginning of a lot of holidays and family time together. Thanks for being an inspiration to all of us.